Monday, August 20, 2012

Being Grateful

This roller coaster we have been on for the last nine months is constantly sending us soaring high and dipping low.  Often times, all in one day, I will cry because I'm happy and because I'm sad.  I'll be so excited about something Elena did that day and full of sorrow the next because I'm reminded of how far she has to go.  It's such an emotional ride.

In the midst of sorting through all the emotions, I find that most the time I feel so very grateful.  I'm grateful that Elena is here, alive.  I'm grateful that I get to spend my days with this precious child.  I'm grateful that we have so much love and support always surrounding us.  I'm grateful that despite the horrible things we have had to face, God has blessed us with His grace and mercy every day.

Even more simply, I'm grateful that Elena looks at me, making eye contact.  I'm grateful that she smiles and coos at me when I'm silly.  I'm grateful that she laughs when I tickle her or the most recent fave...when we make animal sounds.  I'm grateful for the simplest of things, because I know that there are parents who live without these tiny gestures from their children every day.  Elena continues to be one of the happiest, sweetest, most loving little babies....not to mention so cute!

For this, I'm grateful.

1 comment: