Friday, August 9, 2013

First Week Down

We made it to Friday....barely.

To say Elena and I are exhausted is an understatement.  It has been an incredibly long week but we made it.  You better believe Elena and I have spent an entire hour this morning doing nothing but simply cuddling, kissing and hugging on the couch.  Our entire week has been go, go, go so we have thoroughly enjoyed our time together this morning.  She still has another therapy in an hour and our afternoon is packed with a trip downtown to pick up some things up at the office and an appointment with our architect.  Soooo, this break is short-lived.

Elena was a champ this week.  I swear we must be the luckiest parents on the planet.  We put Elena through so much and yet, she always goes with the flow.  Tuesday was our first day at the Jackson Center.  I was in a frenzy to get out of the house on time.  The 40 minute drive was easy.  Handing my baby off to practically strangers, was not.  I could hear Elena's protests (hysterics, rather) from the waiting room.  I chitchatted with the other Moms for a bit before deciding I couldn't handle listening to her cry for the entire three hours.  The Moms all assured me their children did the same for the first few weeks, but I hustled off to sit at Starbucks for an hour.  She was quiet when I came back, which gave me a bit of assurance.  The report at the end of the first day was mixed.  She did cry, a lot.  But, they said she relented and participated in a majority of the therapies.  I think the scariest part for her is being handled by a bunch of people she doesn't know.  In my mind, that would be incredibly scary too, especially considering she relies on the sound of their voice and their touch.  Poor baby.  We raced home for a quick nap before another therapy later that afternoon.

Thursday was better, well and worse.  She cried harder, sooner when I handed her over.  So, I immediately darted out of the door and off to Starbucks.  Again, she was quiet when I came back.  They said she cried for about 30 minutes pretty hard then did really well with the therapies they put her through.  We again raced home for a nap before an appointment with her Vision Teacher.

All in all, I can't believe how well she did for her first week.  She easily could have cried for the entire three hours.  She easily could have cried through the two additional therapies I put her through in the afternoons.  But, per usual she adjusted.  She's two...not many two year olds can last through three hours of anything, let alone a rigorous work out and tasks that are incredibly difficult for her.  So, I'm proud of my little gal this week.  We made it, no doubt with the help of your prayers, emails and texts!  Thank you!

And next week....her first day of her other "school"...Mother's Day Out!

No comments:

Post a Comment