Tuesday, July 26, 2016

The Home Stretch

Hard to believe it's been two weeks since my last update.  It's bizarre, the weeks have flown by but the days have been L-O-N-G.  Our calendar, for the most part, has been clear, which is weird.  In the last five years, that's never been the case.  So, I guess it's nice to take a breather and not to be hustling to get out the door every day, all day.  But, it has made for some difficult days.  Like never-ending, what seem like 40 hour days.  However, this scenario is not likely to happen again, oh, for the next 15 years so I guess I won't complain too much.

Elena has been doing really well.  She has definitely had some good days and some bad days, but in the last week, it's becoming evident that she's on the mend finally.  She's happier, more interactive, less tired and can be moved around a lot easier.  We've been fighting some major reflux issues for whatever reason, but that's been the worst of it lately.  That, and the nights.  We get a good night (two or less wakes) about every four terrible (awake every 30 minutes) nights.  I mean a newborn may be easier than Elena has been at this point!  It's hard to figure out with Elena if it's reflux, her leg, or just wanting to make sure Mom and Dad stay close.  I tend to ALWAYS think it's the latter, but Daddy (whom Elena has wrapped tightly around his little finger!), usually disagrees with me, shocking I know!  This happened with the last surgery.  She got used to us running to her with every little peep and kept up that routine for like a year until something that I can't remember that we did to fix it.  I'm really looking forward to being awake all night for the next infinity.  Maybe the newborn will be like Cal and win all awards, ever, for sleeping?  Please?  God, help us!

Now that we are emerging from the post-surgery survival mode, I'm beginning to feel the anxieties of the beginning of the school year arising.  It's reallllllllllly scary sending your five year old to Kindergarten, especially with all the needs and accommodations that come with Elena.  The whole process is a lesson in lack of control, which of course, I hate.

Oh yeah, then I'm having a baby sometime in the next four weeks.  So there's that.  I do have the car seat washed, a set of white onesies set aside, newborn diapers ordered from Amazon and three swaddle blankets on the ready which means I'm pretty much ready.  It's hilariously opposite from the preparations of a first (or even second) time parent.  Poor third child.  I can say that because I am one.  I promise we'll figure out a name for him/her but for now, there's A LOT to do.

I do want to thank all of you who have been so thoughtful and kind to us the last couple weeks.  The meals, the prayers, the texts, the encouragement has all meant so much.  It has definitely made the surgery awful-ness, much more doable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment