Saturday, August 16, 2014

School!

My baby went to school this week.  And to be honest, it was wayyyy harder on me than it was on her.  She did so well!  New people and new situations can be very scary for Elena, but there were no tears this week...such a BLESSING!

Elena even rode the bus yesterday morning.  She was a little nervous with all the new sounds getting onto the bus, but the driver said she did great!  It felt awfully grown up for me ...like seriously, how did I become old enough to have a kid getting on the bus?! :)

We are so, so happy with her school and her teacher.  It's been such a low stress transition for us and that is completely attributed to the wonderful people who have helped Elena graduate to preschool.  I've felt so at ease the last two days while she's been at school.  That's really tough for me, knowing that I've been present and participatory in every therapy and doctor appointment to this point.  As any parent, I have had so many worries about how she will do at school.  Will she be getting all the services she needs?  What will she be able to learn?  How will she grow?  How will the other kids treat her?  There's so much out of my control.  The morning of her first day, I whispered a hundred prayers that she wouldn't be scared, that she would be confident and happy.  I prayed that she would love school and it would help her reach her potential.  I want Elena to continue to make a difference and be a little light wherever she goes.

Yesterday her school note blessed my heart.  Her teacher said that Elena's classmates love to play next to her and that one little boy held her hand all morning.  It's hard to relinquish some of the control with our children, especially when their needs are as great as Elena's.  But, I know she's going to thrive at school and continue to let her sweet personality shine through.  School will give Elena her opportunity to grow and shine!

First day of School!

Waiting for the bus!




1 comment:

  1. You are so strong! I just want you to know that Chad, the principal, literally walks the hallways praying for the children every day. Get to know him! He was a huge encouragement for me when I taught kindergarten there. His #1 priority is that the students are loved like crazy and emotionally taken care of. He gets some flak about his style and being so "feely" sometimes but I can imagine he is someone you will want on your team. Tell him you are a sorority sister of mine! And that I say "hi"! :)

    ReplyDelete