Friday, December 5, 2014

What Day Is It?

Ok.  I'm sorry.  I've been meaning to post on the blog for dayssss now.  But, I can't remember what day it is.  It has been a very tough two weeks, way tougher than I had anticipated.  It has fully proved my theory that it's best to anticipate the absolute worst, then be pleasantly surprised by how well it turns out.  In this case, I had in my mind that we would all get through surgery easy peasy and then bounce back in no time at all.  WRONG!!

I'll start with the positive.  Elena's really is doing great.  Her incision is healing nicely.  Her days are pretty pleasant, boring, but she's content.  Moving her around is getting easier and less painful for her.  She's been off pain meds for over a week.  She's done really great in the few therapy sessions she's had and has been tolerating lots of stretching.  The best part, we're starting to see the real Elena again.

The tough part....we're not sleeping.  Not like...I-have-a-newborn sleeping and I'm up every 2-3 hours feeding him.  Like, sleeping a total of two hours at night.... non-consecutively..... for days on end.....with a hysterical three year old....who can't communicate what's wrong.....and is miserable from about 11:30pm to 5:30am.  Chad and I have been barely functioning.

Desperate yesterday, we called her surgeon and our friend Lara, at the Jackson Center.  In short, we determined that Elena's probably suffering from muscle spasms and the worst reflux she's probably ever had.  That, turns out, is about the worst combo EVER.  Poor baby.  We're praying that medication can help her relax enough at night to get some sleep.  Last night was a smidge better (with the meds), but we all still need way more rest.

So, that's that.  And about all my brain can get out right now.  I'm way behind on posts and have some catching up to do.  I'll get back to you!

For now, here's some pictures of our girl:

Here's Elena yesterday upright, in her brace, laughing at her brother.

All bundled up for the Zionsville Christmas parade

With her BFFs Brennley, Hudson and Amelia at the Christmas parade 

No comments:

Post a Comment